Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Week 7: Wikis - Thing 16 & 17

If Flat Stanley can do it, so can you!
Thing 16 - Learn about wikis and discover some innovative ways that libraries are using them. I first looked at "Library Success: A best practices wiki." There was so much to check out on this wiki. I specifically liked "Self-Promotion Tips for New Librarians" where it gives suggestions on how to make sure you are adding a positive contribution to the library field. It is so easy to forget that there are so many other libraries out there facing the same challenges that we do. It is always good to get out and meet other librarians and talk with them about what new things they are doing. This reminds me to get more involved in associations to keep current with new ideas, especially in children's librarianship. Our SJPL Youth Serivces wiki might be the perfect way to communicate and hold all of our programming ideas. It is just hard to get into the habit of posting there but I have checked it out and even kept of copy of the rock painting program which I hope to do at RG this summer.

Thing 17 - Add an entry to the Learning 2.0 SandBox wiki. Wow, I just posted my blog and my favorite books. At first I had some difficulties because it seemed to only want HTML code but I tried it anyway and it worked. Also, this wiki does not seem that intuitive as I had to search for favorite books to add. Oh wait, now I get it. You go to recent activity and then add some favorites. Well, I did it the hard way. Libraries could use a wiki to talk about their bookclub, for example, my Rosebuds Book Club so our members could share information about the books we are reading!

No comments: